There is nothing as sweet and rejuvenating as a good night’s sleep. Unfortunately, many persons lose sleep on a daily basis and instead of snoring softly and traversing dreamland, turn in their beds, watching the clock and wondering when day break will strike.
If you have been in such an unpleasant situation in the past – or are in such a precarious situation at the present, you could kindly reclaim your precious sleep with just one smart change – your mattress.
…and guess what type of mattress you need to change to (in order to see smart results)? An extra firm memory foam mattress — a unique form of mattress that is highly absorbent, soft and designed to mold to the body in response to heat and pressure in the process which body weight is evenly distributed.
- Advantages of an extra firm memory foam mattress
- Disadvantages of extra firm memory mattresses
- Extra firm memory foam mattresses: Things to consider before buying
- Best extra-firm memory foam mattresses: Our top 5 picks
- 1. Brentwood Home Bamboo Mattress
- 2. Resort Sleep Queen 10-Inch Cooling Memory Foam Mattress
- 3. Zinus Responsive Memory Foam
- 4. LUCID 6 Inch Memory Foam Mattress
- 5. Classic Brands Cool Gel 8 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- Wrap up
Advantages of an extra firm memory foam mattress
There are many benefits an extra firm memory foam mattress can dish out to its users. However, the most important advantages are:
- An extra firm memory foam mattress is This means that, users who have challenges with their backs and joints will find this mattress type the very best for a perfect night sleep.
- Extra firm memory foam mattresses also work on the principle of pressure relief. This means that, the mattress rests all your body parts equally – without unduly focusing on body parts that are heavier. This ensures better sleep and a body pain free day!
- An extra firm memory mattress does not transfer motion. This ‘no motion transfer’ feature ensures that when you sleep with a partner on the mattress, he/she getting up or tossing about does not in any way affect or disturb you. For you, this means perfect sleep.
- Extreme durability. The average extra firm memory foam mattress lasts a good 15 years (at least) with many models and pieces lasting well over 25 years. The fact that the (average) standard warranty on most models is an impressive 15 years is an indication that this mattress type is meant to long outlive their conventional rival models.
- Finally, an extra firm memory foam mattress helps sleepers attain an ideal posture by helping with correct spinal alignment when sleeping or lying down. In the long run, this simple action prevents back soreness and spinal problems.
Disadvantages of extra firm memory mattresses
While extra firm memory mattresses are awesome overall, there are some disadvantages they have that should be noted and properly understood:
- Extra firm memory foam mattresses can be heavier than their traditional counterparts, overall. However, the difference is weight is negligible – being less than 25% overall. However, if this presents a concern for you as a user, getting someone to help you move your mattress when the need arises is a smart way around this minor challenge.
- Some models of extra firm memory foam mattresses carry a distinct and uncomfortable smell for a few weeks after purchase and use. This is as a result of VOCs in the product. To get around this, a new mattress can be exposed in a spare room without use for 2 -3 after purchase. However, kindly note that this odor is minor and does not bother many. Note too that newer models of extra firm memory foam mattresses manufactured presently are devoid of toxic VOCs and accordingly, present no odor to the final user.
- Finally, memory foam mattresses are overall, more expensive than their traditional counterparts. To walk around this, users rely on deals and discount retail stores (such as Amazon) where the price is usually of a fraction of the normal retail price. Aside deep discounts however, the fact that extra firm memory foams last way longer than their conventional counterparts is reason enough to justify the steep investment.
Extra firm memory foam mattresses: Things to consider before buying
Before you open your wallet and decide on an extra firm memory foam mattress, there are some basic things you need to consider first. Carefully outlined below are the most important of such considerations:
- First, get a mattress with awesome warranty…if you are going to invest in something that you would be using every night (for many years to come), it should come with great warranty. Many models offer up to 10 year warranty but 25 years warranties are not completely uncommon.
- Opt in for an extra firm memory foam mattress that has the ability to compress – either for shipping or movement, should the need arise. You’ll be happy you did if you decide to move apartments J
- Insist on a model that is breathable. With such a model, heat is drawn away from your body ensuring that you sleep cooler, overall.
- Finally, stay away from models with harmful odors as a result of the VOCs they are manufactured from/with. The good news is that, most of the models available today are completely odor free!
While these four points are important to take particular note of, it is worth understanding that the specific models reviewed in this article all meet the four (4) criteria mentioned above. You are thus spared the headache of bothering to check for yourself.
…all you need to do is pick the exact model/make that appeals to your sense of utility and zap, ship it to your home!
Best extra-firm memory foam mattresses: Our top 5 picks
After painstaking research and practical use by us and our friends, we have outlined the 5 best extra-firm memory foam mattresses money can buy at the moment.
Enjoy our thorough and super objective review:
1. Brentwood Home Bamboo Mattress
The Brentwood Home Bamboo Mattress is a gel-variant memory foam and comes in varying sizes and shapes, chief amongst which is the Queens size, King size and Twin size. In terms of size, there are two distinct thicknesses – 11 and 13 inches.
Possessing the unique ability to be compressed and rolled up (both for shipping and regular transportation), this memory foam mattress is the height of excellence for side, back and stomach sleepers. When the fact that it carries an awesome and super impressive 25 year warranty is put in the picture, you’re dealing with a model that it is very hard to beat!
What we like
- 25 year warranty! The sheer number of years this company is prepared to stake out for this memory mattress is an indication to the quality inherent and a fore reminder of the overall quality to expect.
- Medium firmness (perfect for side, back and stomach sleepers).
- Removable bamboo zipper cover.
- Mattress is certified by CertiPUR-US…foam is accordingly free from flame retardants, heavy metals, formaldehyde and phthalates.
- Completely odor free.
- Rare ability to compress and be rolled up in a box making it super easy for shipping, handling, setup and eventual movement (as the need arises).
- 2” Airplus ventilated layer that ensures that the mattress remains cool all the time. This facilitates perfect sleep.
- 5” gel memory foam layer.
- 5” support base.
What we dislike
- Customers who are used to very firm memory foam mattresses did not appreciate the medium firmness of this mattress.
- This mattress is not suitable for very large or very tall users.
Customers opined that this mattress is cooler, comfortable and ultra-supportive. Many users also reported that backaches and general body pains that were present after a night’s rest have vanished. In summary, the sleep quality of users of this extra firm memory foam mattress has dramatically improved for the better and they are VERY happy and appreciative about it.
2. Resort Sleep Queen 10-Inch Cooling Memory Foam Mattress
The Sleep Queen 10 Inch Cooling Memory Foam Mattress is a medium-firm memory foam that comes with a staggering 20 year warranty and a free memory foam pillow. Breathable, plush and made of superior materials, this mattress is easily rolled up for easy handling; notwithstanding the fact that it is firm – and retains its awesome firmness once it is unpacked and given some time to ‘recover’.
Naturally anti-microbial, hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant, the mattress is poised to give you new levels of comfort that you never knew even existed. When you add the fact that it comes with a comfortable knit cover, it becomes crystal clear that aside the fact that comfort is involved, convenience is also a major point this mattress takes into special consideration.
What we like
- An impressive 20 year warranty. This is an indication of great quality.
- Dust mite resistance.
- Comfortable (and washable) knit cover.
- Free luxury pillow.
- Advanced cooling innovations and an impressive breathable design.
- Easy shipping and handling – which adds to the overall appeal of the mattress.
What we dislike
- Some customers wished that the mattress had handles at the sides J
- Other users complained that the mattress is slightly less than the size of their beds.
Users of this mattress have opined that since buying it, they now ‘sleep like the dead’. Aside the obvious comfort, customers also appreciated the free pillow included and opined in particular that it did not take them time to ‘officially’ fall in love.
3. Zinus Responsive Memory Foam
Available in four (4) distinct sizes and backed up with a standard ten (10) year warranty, the Zinus Responsive Memory Foam is a latex-like foam that creates an incredibly responsive and durable sleep surface that makes users sleep like a baby and wake up with the strength of a giant.
Completely odor free and perfected with a compression technology that allows the mattress to be folded for easy transportation, shipment and movement, this mattress has just the right amount of bounce that is suitable for a most relaxing night rest. When you add the fact that the firm memory foam mattress is certified by CertiPUR-US for durability, performance and content, the reality stares you in the face: this is the real deal.
What we like
- Odor free.
- 10 (ten) year warranty.
- Super soft luxurious cover.
- Certified by CertiPUR-US for durability, performance and content.
- 2 (two) separate layers of high density support foam.
- Firm nature that does not interrupt on its inherently plush origins.
What we dislike
- Some customers do not like the reflating time of the mattress. Many would love it to reflate to full size after unpacking in an hour or two instead of the standard 24 – 48 hours.
Overall, the users/customers who bought this mattress – conscious of what to expect found it the real deal. Many users expressed their joy and happiness in the product and likened it to sleeping on air!
4. LUCID 6 Inch Memory Foam Mattress
The LUCID 6 Inch Memory Foam Mattress is a memory foam mattress no one can ignore in a hurry – that is, if they are serious. Available in 6 different sizes (or trims) ranging from ‘twin’ to ‘king’ and equally offered in 6 sizes, the company is clear on one thing: there is nothing as one size fits all.
Excellent for providing correct back support, the LUCID 6 Inch Memory Foam Mattress breathes naturally to provide an overall cool sleeping reality. That is not all, the mattress offers an impressive 25 year warranty to its customers, a clear testament of the superior engineering that has gone to its construction – a reality very few manufacturers are prepared to replicate.
What we like
- 25 year warranty…this is clear and conclusive testament of the supreme quality of this mattress.
- Various trims and sizes…indeed, there is nothing as one size fits all.
- Dust mite resistant.
- CertiPUR-US certified.
- Completely odorless.
- Removable cover that can be washed and easily replaced.
What we dislike
- Some customers appreciate reinforced edges. Unfortunately, this model does not come with edges that are reinforced.
- Users who are not used to firm mattresses found this model ‘too firm’ for their liking.
Customers and users of this mattress alike agree on one thing: this mattress provides superior comfort and sleeps users in a fashion that is rare to find. This is the general consensus.
5. Classic Brands Cool Gel 8 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
The Classic Brands Cool Gel 8 Inch Memory Foam Mattress is the last on our list of the best extra firm memory foam mattresses; it is not however in any manner the least. If anything, it may even be the most impressive, given that it offers 7 trims to choose from and presents an equally impressive 10 year warranty.
With an adjustable base design and gel technology that ensure maximum breathability and coolness, this memory foam mattress is clearly the height of comfort and is poised to serve its users awesomely and according to the stated features and specifications.
What we like
- An impressive warranty of 10 years.
- Gel technology that ensures maximum breathability – hence coolness.
- Inclusion of two (2) inch gel memory foam that brilliantly conforms to the contours of the users.
- Six (6) high density bases that provides excellent support for a perfect night’s rest.
- Hypo-allergenic and dust mite free.
What we dislike
- This mattress does not suit obese users; neither does it sleep them well. If you’re chronically overweight, it is smart to take note.
- Some users clearly have a challenge with its firmness level and would prefer something softer.
The overall softness and comfort this mattress provides is legendary. Users compared it to more expensive brands and regretted having spent huge amounts of money when they could simply get this model and save a ton of cash.
There is nothing that compares to a great night rest…believe us, the quality of the day and its productiveness is directly proportional to the quality of sleep at night. Luckily thus, you can now sleep as soundly as a baby does – if you choose any of the models above.
Sincerely, going forward, we wish you awesome night’s sleep and super productive days.